Request a viewing* = Required field
When arranging a viewing, we require a landline number or a form of ID for our client and staff security.
Accommodation in Brief
Entrance Porch | Reception Hall | Drawing Room | Sitting Room | Kitchen/Breakfast Room | Pantry | Dining Room | Butler’s Pantry | Study | Utility Room | Boiler Room | Master Bedroom with En-suite | Three Further Double Bedrooms | Family Bathroom
Sitting Room | Kitchen | Bedroom | Bathroom | Separate WC
Tandem Double Garage | Extensive Gardens and Grounds | Paddock | Hayfield | In all 9.95 Acres
Holeyn Hall is an imposing Grade II Listed country manor house which stands in an elevated position with far reaching views over the Tyne Valley. Originally built in 1851 for the Lead Merchant, Edward James, the property was extended in 1858 by renowned architect John Dobson. Sir Charles Parsons, inventor of the first steam turbine engine, and his wife, Katharine Bethell, owned Holeyn Hall from 1893 until their deaths in the 1930s. The property has since been sensitively divided into two substantial wings and retains a wealth of period features including sash windows, original shutters, paneled doors, high ceilings, pictures rails and decorative cornicing.
The welcoming entrance hall leads into the grand, double height, reception hall which features an exquisite hand-painted and gilded ceiling. The hall is filled with natural light from the original timber framed skylight above. Decorative paneling and picture rails complement the period style.
The two principle reception rooms offer wonderful spaces for living and entertaining while enjoying fantastic south-facing views across open countryside. Both feature original fireplaces and hand-painted cornicing and ceiling roses which are simply delightful.
The kitchen/breakfast room, offers a good range of units with appliances including double electric oven, solid plate hob with copper extractor over, sink, space for a fridge and a dishwasher and ample room for dining table and chairs. There is also a working fireplace with space for a wood-burner. Off the kitchen is a good sized utility room and separate pantry.
The dining room offers an intimate setting for formal dining. A built in cupboard provides useful storage space and a further door leads to the boiler room and additional pantry.
The beautiful original oak staircase provides access to the upstairs accommodation via an open landing. The master bedroom offers fantastic dual aspect and elevated views and is complemented by a large en-suite which is fitted with a WC, bidet, shower and a useful storage cupboard.
There are three further double bedrooms, two of which benefit from similar views to that of the master bedroom.
The family bathroom is fitted with a bath, freestanding shower, WC, sink and storage cupboard.
There is also a separate apartment on the first floor which comprises a double bedroom, sitting room, kitchen, bathroom, separate WC and storage cupboard. This provides flexible accommodation which could be used as an extension to the main house or as a guest suite. The flat has access to extensive loft space. This is currently not boarded, but was in the past used as servants’ bedrooms. In turn the loft space has access to the roof, allowing for any maintenance requirements.
East Wing, which is set in nearly 10 acres of grounds, is approached along a shared, tree-lined driveway leading to the rear of the property, where there is ample private parking. The tandem double garage, which can be accessed from the main house and externally, provides further space for parking or storage as required.
The property has wonderful south and east facing terraces, with mature borders and extensive countryside views which allow for relaxation in a truly tranquil setting. A magnificent, handcrafted wrought iron gate with stone pillars sits on the terraces. The gate, originating from Italy, was commissioned in 1907 and is decorated with intricate patterns of vines and fruits. Stone steps in the south garden allow easy access from the terraces to the lawns. A high mature hedgerow provides privacy.
In addition to the south garden, there is also a mature woodland, paddock and hayfield. In all the grounds total approximately 9.95 acres.
Wylam is a very popular commuter village in the Tyne Valley with excellent links to Newcastle City Centre, with the benefit of beautiful scenery and countryside nearby and famous for being the birthplace of George Stephenson. The village offers day-to-day shopping, pubs and restaurants. Close House Hotel and Golf Club and Matfen Hall are located close by and offer excellent leisure and restaurant facilities.
For schooling, Wylam has a First School which has been ranked outstanding by Ofsted, while Middle Schools are available in Ovingham, Prudhoe and Hexham. Mowden Hall Preparatory School is close by providing private education from nursery up to 13 years. Newcastle city centre provides further comprehensive cultural, educational, recreational and shopping facilities.
For the commuter the A69 provides good access to Newcastle Airport and City Centre, Carlisle and onward access to the A1 and M6. The rail station at Wylam provides regular links to both Newcastle and Carlisle, which in turn link to other main line services to major UK cities north and south. Newcastle International Airport and the A1 are all within easy reach.
Wylam 1.5 miles | Newcastle International Airport 7.4 miles | Corbridge 8.2 miles | Newcastle City Centre 10.2 miles | Hexham 12.7 miles
For full property information please download the brochure.